Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Dungeons on my mind

I haven't drew a map in awhile, but last night I started on one.  I actually started by writing out a few rooms, not using a pencil and drawing rooms.  This is a bit different for me, usually its draw a map and figure out how to fill it and with what!

I've been feeling quite inspired latetly and I want to start working on a new dungeon, something I can post up here.  (also I haven't been posting much, I apologize).  The inspiration is coming from the following resources:

The 1e DMG:  If you don't have this book, and you don't have the fifth edition dmg, I suggest getting this. Even if you have the fifth edition one, get this.  There's lots of fun stuff in it.  In the back of the book there is a set of dungeon creation tables, NPC traits (much like the 5e version), things found in rooms etc.

DCC Starter Rules & VAM (see previous post).

As well the other day +Mike Evans posted about Mega Dungeons and that lead to an interesting conversation.  Mike does this cool "Discussion of the day" post, every day is different.  During the discussion +Wayne Rossi mentioned that he likes when he has new players at the table, as it changes the dynamic of what is known within the dungeon, and I quote:

"The other thing to understand about megadungeons is that they're not optimal with a stable party of four adventurers who start at the top and work their way down. They work best with an open table."

And of course +Wayne Rossi wrote this great article about Megadungeons that got me thinking.
http://initiativeone.blogspot.ca/2017/05/why-build-megadungeon-in-2017.html

Anyways, I'm not saying I'm creating a mega dungeon (that's just silly talk that I've said before and didn't follow thru on), but these guys inspired me to start working on a dungeon level, and then hopefully another one and so on haha.

thanks Wayne & Mike!

*Further to an open table theory, I was thinking last night about having my players have 3 different characters, possibly in different parts of the mega dungeon, if a character dies then they can use a different one that they rolled up.  Or alternatively it can be a BIG party where the players have say 3 characters (there are 3 players) and the adventuring party is 9.

and rambling....







No comments:

Post a Comment