Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2016

The Nothing

Last night I was thinking about the "Never-ending Story", and the big bad guy, "the nothing".  The nothing is not really an entity but a thought process.  Human's have started to not believe in fantasy, therefore the nothing was created from that to destroy the fantasy world.  Because without human's thinking about fantasy, the world does not exist.

Yes for a super cheezy 80's movie, there's some deep thoughts that go along with it.

As far as using the "Nothing" as a bad guy, or the main guy in a campaign.  I like it.  I've been trying to think of a way of not using typical demons, or really old grumpy dragons as the overseer of the vileness in the world.  It always seems that the PC's are working their way towards a great evil like the above.  But to have something in the world that is truly evil, that is trying to destroy the world, yet it is intangible.  Well that'll just make the PC's head spin won't it.

Now they have to go out and do good things and get people to believe in the world again.  Of course that's easier said than done isn't it.

The nothing, or atleast the concept of the nothing seem's like a great idea.  The thing about a campaign like that though, is that it will blur the line between the real world and the RPG that you are playing.  I've kept going back to the idea of playing in a world based on "Magic Kingdom for sale" by Terry brooks, and I may still do that at some point.  Another book that blurs the lines.

There are certain things I like about the Neverending story world, and there's a lot of things I don't.  So I doubt that I would use it straight up as a place to play in.  However, there's those little nuggets that you can use for inspiration.


Here's the nothing scene by the way, it'll give you a bit of context to what I'm talking about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment