Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Dark Thoughts

This post contains spoilers about the Netflix show "Dark". 


After we finished watching the show the other day (I can't wait for the next season!) I started thinking about running a time travel type D&D game.  As I'm not the best historian in the world, I was trying to wrap my brain around doing a game with 3 different time lines (like the show), set in a medieval world.  However I wanted to have guns in it, and I couldn't quite figure out how to do a future world. Part of it was "what technology is in the past thirty years, and or the future?"  Obviously I could have it set on the brink of gunpowder.  But what happens in the future?

In the TV show there are 3 time periods, 1953, 1986 and 2019.  Obviously there are changes in the way the world is between the time periods.  Certain things are constant however, like cars, phones, roads etc.  I realized quite quickly last night that doing a time travel game similar to the show would work extremely well with Dark Places Demogorgons!  Rather than try and pull off some kinda of typical D&D fantasy game.  The neat thing about trying something like this is you can have relatives in the time periods of the characters.

So using the dark mold I could easily start the thing in 1986 (because DP&D is set in the 80s!) and then time travel to now which is easy, and I love the 50's so that would be easy to write that as well.  I would think that have a central location like a Diner or a Bar would be handy.  Maybe the jukebox in the bar is bright shiney new in the 50s and barely useable in the 2020's with scratched records.

The other thought I had was running a "Call of Cthulhu" game with this, however I'm not that well versed in the rules of the game, and I'm not really a horror guy.

Anyways, just some thoughts.  I think it could be interesting.

If you get a chance watch the show if you haven't already! It's wonderful.

I briefly discussed this idea on my podcast last night.




No comments:

Post a Comment