Pages

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Scanned!

Layout & GIMP Editing:  Just finished scanning all the maps, I now have 13 done.  I think I may yet draw 2 more, I guess we will see how it goes.  Now comes the process of cleanup!  Then I'll be adding a grey fill for all the background and the graph grid layers.  Basically take the scans & add an alpha channel, delete all the original white.  Funny note, some of the maps were drawn on very old paper, that was bleached a little off white from the sun.

What I am going to do, and hopefully it isn't met with resistance is the following:

The maps were drawn on 8.5 x 11.   I plan to scale all the maps to fit the graph paper example on the left.  As you can see there is a indent and the graph paper isn't full 8.5 x 11.  Part of the reason for scaling is that I want to make sure when the final product is done, it fits on the 8.5 x 11 paper properly, with nothing getting cut off.  I am hoping to release this as a softcover as well thru drivethrurpg.

Speaking of which, if you get a B&W softcover (which is basically the cheapest option) I am guessing that the cover also has to be b&w as well?

I personally like the old schoolness of B&W art and text.  however it would be nice to have a color cover & back.  It's obviously not the end of the world if its B&W only, but from a marketing stand point I think people like color on the front atleast, and sometimes glossy is nice.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention, I am also opening a doc file at the same time.  I finish a map and number it, then I got in create a page that says "map a" and then just add A1, A2, A3 and leave em blank, and so on.  That way I don't miss a room hahaha.

On Writing:  I've realized that some of my original ideas for this project were not vanilla per se, but typical?  After reading an article about mega dungeon design, I am going to take my original premise, expand on certain elements and then basically go thru a map at a time fill out all the encounter locations.  Once all of the basic writing is done, I'm going to read it all over find places where things can be tied in, etc.   Then do a mass edit!  My wife has kindly said that she'll edit it, of course she said she'd like to read an adventure first.  So I'm giving her Keep on the borderlands & Temple Of Elemental Evil.

So tonight it begins. #theenormityproject


No comments:

Post a Comment