Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2019

The OSR rolls saves at +20

There's been a few discussions latetly about the OSR being dead.

https://anchor.fm/tavernchat/episodes/E448---The-OSR-is-Dead--All-Hail-the-OSR---Plus--We-are-Giving-Gifts-e4t91o

https://thac0rpg.blogspot.com/2019/08/osr-is-dead-and-i-did-not-know.html

https://www.greyhawkgrognard.com/2019/08/10/no-the-osr-isnt-dead-and-you-cant-kill-it/

http://www.theevildm.com/2019/08/just-thinking-osr-is-dead-ha-tabletop.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A bit of it has been because of the latest controversy (there's a controversy once a week damn it!) regarding lotfp's Gencon catalog image. (Note if you really like reading shit slinging search osr on twitter  EGAD!).  I don't intend to get into that discussion, other than noting that this is probably the cause of the latest "OSR BEING DEAD".

It's not dead.  I doubt it will die.

It's really splintered.  My personal thought on the splintering is that it's honestly not a bad thing.  Erik does a really good job of explaining everything in the above podcast link.  I think what is happening, has happened and will continue to happen is that people are going to go out create, play games, etc within their own little community.  And that my friends is perfectly cool.

Every single time some shit storm happens, there are a lot of people who say "why do we have to fight? can't we just play elf games".  A perfectly acceptable suggestion, although sometimes it's taken the wrong way. The response can be  "No, politics needs to be discussed in community places".

I think that the OSR (other than the labelled marketing version) is always going to exist.  Every time some new person picks up Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy, Blueholme, etc it leads them down the rabbit hole of the OGL and everything that goes along with it.  This newbie might decide to write little adventures at home, run them for their friends, create a zine, publish something!  This is good.  This is what will continue to keep it going.

While I'm active in the community (sorta), my real osr is the fact that I can take these old dusty rules, fuck em up to suit my tastes, write an adventure for a my friends, drink beer and enjoy gaming.

That's it.

So yes the OSR rolls a +20 on saves. 



5 comments:

  1. Venger, sorry I mistakenly hit the wrong button and deleted the comment. I have to moderate everything now, too much spam. I apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a community. A hobby. A pass-time. A way of looking at the hobby. You can't kill a point of view or a philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Damn strait! The OSR will be here for a long, long time in one form or another. :-)

    ReplyDelete