I've been invited to play the game online, but my scheduling didn't work out well at the time. I generally like having read thru the book a few times before I jump in though.
Quick little overview from here.
Characters typically journey between various star systems and engage in activities such as exploration, ground and space battles, and interstellar trading. Characters are defined not by the need to increase native skill and ability but by achievements, discoveries, wealth, titles, and political power.
Key features derived from literary sources are incorporated into Traveller in all its forms.
- Human-centric but cosmopolitan: The core rules focus on human characters, but there is ample support for using and playing aliens.
- Space travel: Interstellar travel is through the use of the faster-than-light (FTL) jump drive, which moves a ship through "jump space" a few light-years at a time. Each jump always takes about one week. Normal-space travel is accomplished through relatively efficient and powerful gravitic drives. Newtonian physics tends to be followed.
- Limited communication: There is no faster-than-light information transfer – meaning no ansible, subspace radio or hyper-wave. Communication is limited to the speed of travel. Decisions are made on the local level, rather than by a remote authority.
- Conflict resolution: Planets fight out internal wars, and commerce is a major driving force of civilization.
- Sociological: Interstellar society is socially stratified (high, mid, and low passage; SOC (Social Status) is a primary character attribute). Affairs are often managed by independent nobility, who make use of classic titles such as Baron, Duke and Archduke.
- Diversity within Limits: Career options, ship design, subsector design, and decisions made during character generation limit and frame reality. The definitions create a diverse space (hence library data and anachronistic/ atavistic worlds), within limits.
- Morals and mortality: People remain people and continue to show courage, wisdom, honesty and justice, along with cowardice, deceit, and criminal behavior.
I decided to go ahead and do some googling to see what I could find, as far as links are concerned.
- Here's the pdf: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/80192/CTTTBThe-Traveller-Book?src=hottest_filtered
- First off there is a crazy amount of information here: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Classic_Traveller
- Here's some more awesome info! http://www.waynesbooks.com/Traveller.html
- Drivethru has a TON of stuff: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4/Game-Designers039-Workshop-GDW/subcategory/4767/Classic-Traveller?banner_id=2564&src=pubbanner
- Adventures: http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/The_Classic_Adventures
- A good post containing a bunch of free pdfs with adventures, starships etc. https://zhodani.space/stuff/pdf-files/
- http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/ Forum
- Mewe Group: https://mewe.com/group/5c280c8a85c02b2977f06a5c
So that's a ton of great resources hey!
At some point in the next few days I'm going to crack that book again and have a look.
Thanks for the links!ReplyDelete
No problemo! I'm going to really hard core go thru all this later this weekend. There's a lot of great stuff that I skimmed.Delete